Whey Protein Isolate vs Concentrate: “Wheying” Up the Differences

0
124
Whey Protein Isolate Vs concentrate

Are you looking for more ways to increase your protein intake throughout the day? Whey protein is an excellent choice, as it is fast absorbing and often cheap to include in your everyday life. But there are a lot of different versions of whey protein out there, like whey concentrate and whey isolate. So, what is the difference between whey isolate and whey concentrate and how do you know which is right for you? Here is everything on whey protein isolate vs concentrate and which you should choose for your lifestyle.

Whey Protein Concentrate

Whey protein concentrate comes from a filtered milk protein concentrate. Milk protein consists of two different types of protein, casein, and whey. 80% of milk protein is casein, while the other 20% is whey.

When the milk protein gets filtered, you end up with casein concentrate on one side and whey concentrate on the other. Whey protein concentrate will contain higher amounts of lactose, carbs, and fat.

Whey Protein Isolate

Whey protein isolate gets filtered more out of the two types of whey protein. There are several ways to isolate the protein, the two most common ways are through heat or water.

When the whey protein gets isolated, it filters out higher amounts of fat, carbs, and lactose. If you compare the nutrition label of concentrate and isolate, you’ll find that isolate has fewer calories and more protein. Though this typically comes with a higher cost.

Who Should Use Whey Concentrate?

If you’re okay drinking a glass of milk and are looking for a cheap way to increase the amount of protein in your diet, then stick with whey protein concentrate.

Because the protein hasn’t been as filtered as isolate, you might find that the protein shakes are creamier. If you’re not strict with your calories and macros, you won’t need to worry too much about the nutrition label.

Who Should Use Whey Isolate?

If you’re lactose intolerant but want to maximize your protein intake, whey protein isolate is the better option for you. Since whey isolate contains the highest amount of protein per serving, you’ll find yourself more satiated throughout the day as well.

Isolate does come with the downside of being a little more watered down in terms of taste. This happens because it is filtered more, so it is not necessarily a bad thing.

If you’re looking for a good-tasting ISO protein, AstroFlav offers one of the best on the market.

Whey Protein Isolate Vs Concentrate: There Is No Clear Winner

The debate of whey protein isolate vs concentrate has no real winner. They both fit into someone’s diet and will come down to the individual.

If you only need more protein and can handle milk, stick with whey protein concentrate. But if milk tears you up and you want to maximize protein intake, isolate will fit into your diet better.

If you want to learn more about the different types of protein, then be sure to check out the rest of our blog. Know someone interested in protein shakes? Share this article with them so they know the difference.

See also  Types of Sports Injuries and How to Protect Yourself From Possible Risks